How to Get Your CDL in Virginia

Written by Sheryl Posnick

If you’re looking for information on how to get your CDL in Virginia, then the information below will walk you through the process. For information on all other states, refer to this guide on getting a CDL in every state of the country.


You must be at least at 18 to obtain an intrastate CDL and age 21 to obtain a CDL in Virginia. If you have never held a Virginia driver’s license or ID card in the past, you must present documents proving your eligibility.

  • If you are at least 19 years old, you must show two proofs of identity, one proof of legal presence, one proof of Virginia residency, and proof of your social security number.
  • If you are under 19 years old, you will be required to show one proof of identity, one proof of legal presence, one proof of Virginia residency, and proof of your social security number.


Your first step is to fill out an application for your CDL instruction permit. You must apply for your permit and license in person at a DMV Customer Service Center. The permit allows you to operate a commercial vehicle under supervision while you learn to drive.

Then, you must pass one or more knowledge tests (written or verbal), plus a vision screening test.

All commercial vehicle drivers (class A, B and C vehicles) must take the general knowledge exam, which determines your familiarity with the operation of commercial vehicles, motor vehicle laws, and safe driving techniques. You must answer at least 80 percent of the general knowledge questions correctly to pass the exam. You must take the skills exams in the type of vehicle for which you want to be licensed.

Once you pass the required knowledge exam(s), you can take the CDL skills exams. These exams include: 

  • Pre-trip inspection
  • Basic vehicle control
  • On-road driving

In order to take the tests, you must have held a CDL instruction permit for at least 30 days or show proof that you have previously held a CDL or completed a CDL driver’s education program.

For the road test, you you must supply a properly equipped, legally registered and insured vehicle with a valid inspection sticker. It must be of the proper type and manufacturer’s GVW rating for the class license you are applying for, and it must pass a safety check by the examiner.

About the author

Sheryl Posnick

Sheryl Posnick is an editor and writer living in Brooklyn, NY. She is the founder and president of Red Letter Content, an editorial company with a focus on educational, test preparation, and career readiness materials.