How to Get Your CDL in Wyoming, Nevada and New Mexico

Written by Sheryl Posnick

This article is useful for anyone who wants to get your CDL in Wyoming, Nevada or New Mexico. If you want to learn about earning a CDL at other states, we have put together a comprehensive guide on how to get a commercial driver’s license in every state of the country.


If your vehicle has a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 pounds, or more or carries 16+ passengers (including the driver), or you transport hazardous material in an amount which must be placarded,  you are required to have a CDL.
To obtain a CDL, you must complete a series of written knowledge tests, a vision screening, and a driving skills test.
Written Knowledge Tests

All written tests are multiple choice, and require a passing score of 80 percent correct. Written tests are valid for two years.

You must take a written test if:

  • You never been previously licensed in the United States, any U.S. Territory, Canadian Province, or Germany
  • Your driving record indicates your last license has been expired, revoked, or denied for two years or longer, or your privilege to drive has been revoked, canceled or disqualified
  • You are upgrading your class of license or adding any endorsements
  • You are removing the air brake restriction “L;” and you are removing the Air Over Hydraulics restriction
If you have a CDL license with a hazmat endorsement “H,” you will be required to take the hazardous materials test upon transferring your out-of-state CDL license. If you already have a Wyoming CDL, you must retake the hazmat test if you have not passed the test within the previous two years.
Vision Screening
You must receive a vision reading of 20/40 with both eyes to pass the vision screening. If you cannot meet this standard with or without glasses, you will have to obtain a vision statement from an eye doctor. If you wear contact lenses or glasses during the vision screening, you will be required to wear them at all times while driving. A vision reading of worse than 20/40 in one eye will restrict you to intrastate driving only.
Skills Test
A skills test will consist of a vehicle pre-trip inspection, a basic control skills test and an over-the-road skills test. You can only take a skills tests after you have successfully completed all applicable written tests.
You must test in a vehicle representative of the class of license for which you are applying. Skills tests will not be conducted in a loaded commercial vehicle; simulated weight is the only thing allowed in trailer. Additionally, placarded vehicles are not allowed to be used for skills testing.
The fee for a skills test is $40.
Applicants for a Wyoming CDL who hold a valid U.S. Military license must pass all written tests for the class of license they currently hold.

Wyoming law states CDL holders may be disqualified from driving a commercial motor vehicle, have their license canceled, or be prohibited from obtaining a CDL if they are convicted of 2 or more serious moving violations in a 3-year period, which may include the following:

  • Speeding 15 mph+
  • Following too closely
  • Not posessing a CDL or driving without a CDL on your person
  • Improper or no endorsements
  • Reckless driving
  • Erratic or improper lane change
  • Use of cell phone OR texting while driving
You will have their license cancelled and will be disqualified from driving a CMV or from obtaining a CDL if convicted of:
  • Driving under the influence
  • Driving with a blood alcohol of .04% or greater
  • Leaving the scene of an accident
  • Driving under suspension in a CMV
  • Driving a motor vehicle used in a felony
  • Negligent operation of a CMV causing a fatality


Commercial Learner’s Permits (CLPs)

Beginning in early 2016, CLPs will be administered instead of a Commercial Driver’s License Instruction Permit (CDL IP). To obtain a CLP, you must have a base non-commercial or commercial license. You must have a CLP to get a CDL.

A CLP is valid for 180 days, and must be held for 14 days prior to taking a skills test.

Commercial Driver License (CDL)

You must have a CDL to drive a commercial motor vehicle, which is a motor vehicle or combination of motor vehicles used in commerce to transport passengers or property if the motor vehicle meets the following considerations:

  • The vehicles have a gross combination weight rating of 26,001 pounds+, inclusive of a towed unit(s) with a gross vehicle weight rating of more than 10,000 pounds
  • There is a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more
  • The vehicle(s) are designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver
  • The vehicle(s) are of any size and are used in the transportation of hazardous materials that require placarding

You must be at least 21 years old to be issued a CDL to operate a commercial motor vehicle in interstate commerce and to receive endorsements for passengers or hazardous materials. You must be at least 25 to receive an endorsement for vehicle combinations over 70 feet in length. CDLs issued to applicants age 18 to 20 will contain Restriction R (no passengers or hazmat) and Restriction 2 (intrastate commerce only).

Requirements  to Apply
  • You must list all states where you have held any commercial or non-commercial driver’s license in the past 10 years. Your driving history in each state will be checked.
  • Commercial drivers must meet the Residency & Proof of Identity requirements for a Nevada driver’s license.
  • You must self-certify the type of driving you do and, if needed, submit a Medical Examiner’s Certificate. Your employer may require a physical even if the state does not.
  • If a physical is required, you must obtain it from a physician listed in the National Registry of Certified Medical Examiners.

New Mexico

Anyone applying for a CDL Permit, a first-time Commercial License or a Commercial License renewal must have the following documentation:

  • A state birth certificate, U.S. passport, or other proof of lawful presence in the U.S.
  • A Social Security Card
  • DOT Medical Certification
  • 2 verifiable proofs of physical residency in New Mexico
  • A valid New Mexico driver’s/CDL license
  • If you do not have a current, valid DOT Medical Certificate on record, you will be required to submit a copy of your medical certificate.
Knowledge Tests
  • You must to pass all required CDL Knowledge Tests for the Class and/or type of vehicle you want to operate.
  • If you fails any one CDL Knowledge Test, you must wait one week (7 days) from day of testing before retesting.
  • Any applicant may take any one CDL Knowledge Test 3x within a one-year period. After failing 3x, you must wait one year from the first time tested before retesting.
  • No documentation of any kind and no cell phones are permitted in the test area.
  • If you are found cheating or committing an offense while testing, you will have your CDL application or license disqualified for one year and must obtain a Class D license if holding a CDL.
Skills Tests
  • The Skills Tests, which is made up of the Pre-Trip, Basic Control Skills, and Road Testing, are administered by a third party examiner and will normally take two hours.
  • If you fail, you must wait one week from the day of testing before retesting.
  • You may take the test 3x within a one-year period. After the third fail, you must wait one year from the first time tested before retesting.

Each part of the Knowledge and Skills Test is graded independently. A passing score is 80% or higher

About the author

Sheryl Posnick

Sheryl Posnick is an editor and writer living in Brooklyn, NY. She is the founder and president of Red Letter Content, an editorial company with a focus on educational, test preparation, and career readiness materials.