There are tons of valid excuses for missing work. But it’s not foolproof…there are also tons of reasons that are totally not valid, and will likely earn you a trip to the professional dog house.
1. Valid excuse: You’re sick.
Invalid excuse: You’re sick with a fever whose only cure is more cowbell.
2. Valid excuse: There’s been a death in your family.
Invalid excuse: There’s been a death on your favorite TV show.
3. Valid excuse: You’re having a personal emergency.
Invalid excuse: You’re having a fashion emergency.
4. Valid excuse: You fell and injured yourself.
Invalid excuse: …Running for the ice cream truck. (Just leave that part out.)
5. Valid excuse: You’re celebrating a religious holiday.
Invalid excuse: Your “religious holiday” is corroborated only by a weirdly sparse Wiki page that was updated last by someone with your usual screen name.
6. Valid excuse: You’re having a childcare crunch.
Invalid excuse: You’re having drama because you’re out of Cap’n Crunch.
7. Valid excuse: You’re getting married.
Invalid excuse: A royal is marrying that beautiful commoner who totally could have been you if only you’d been able to afford that spring break in Luxembourg.
8. Valid excuse: The weather is bad, and so are the roads you’d be commuting on.
Invalid excuse: Your psychic told you it might snow this afternoon. (And it’s June.)
9. Valid excuse: You need a mental health day.
Invalid excuse: Your pet needs you at home while he works through some personal issues.